Learn the domestic adoption process from start to finish.
What are the requirements to adopt domestically?
- Married for at least two years
- At least 25 years of age
- Good physical and emotional health.
- No criminal record inclusive of major offenses or pattern of such offenses or any criminal matters that have not been satisfactorily resolved
- Applicants with CAS must be believers in the basic Christian tenets
The steps that lead up to a domestic adoption
- Attend informational meeting (date to be determined)
- Complete preliminary application
- Initial Review
- Complete application for adoption
- Participate in pre-placement assessment (homestudy) process
- Meeting with domestic program coordinator
- Submission of photo book for review and finalization
- Submit photos for website
- Receive referral for placement
The steps following adoption
Once you have taken placement of a child, you will be required to have follow-up post-placement visits by a caseworker. To finalize an adoption in North Carolina, you are required to have a minimum of three such visits – the first is to occur two weeks from your arrival home with your child.
The CAS staff is always available to discuss concerns or issues relating to your adoption. If a member of our staff is not equipped to address your particular issue we can serve as a referral resource.
An important element of a successful adoption plan is becoming educated. Research indicates that informed parents have realistic expectations leading to successful adoptive placements. CAS requires domestic adoptive parents to complete the following training:
Complete a minimum of four classes at adoptionlearningpartners.org from this list:
Let's Talk Adoption
The Journey Attachment
Open Adoption 101
Adopted: The Identity Project
Becoming Your Child's Best Advocate
Finding the Missing Pieces
Certification in Infant CPR.
Attendance at 1 (one) CAS training conference offered each spring and fall if a local family.
Call the CAS office at (704) 847-0038 or email email@example.com to become registered in our online adoption management system.